dbus-monitor and awk

Cameron Hutchison lists at xdna.net
Wed Sep 2 17:27:15 PDT 2009

spitfire23bc <spitfire23bc at gmail.com> writes:

>On the author's Fedora 10 system, this gives an output whenever a Tomboy
>note is created, saved or deleted. On Ubuntu 8.10, it gives no output.

>dbus-monitor is working correctly:

>    dbus-monitor "${WATCH1}" "${WATCH2}" "${WATCH3}"

>works fine; it is the pipe to the awk command that kills any kind of output.

The difference may be the difference between gawk and mawk. mawk is the
default awk on Debian and I presume Ubuntu. I do not know what the
default on Fedora is.

mawk has the "-W interactive" option which uses line buffered input and
unbuffered output.  The implication is that without that option, larger
buffers are used. If gawk defaults to this interactive mode (it doesn't
support "-W interactive"), then this may explain the difference.

Try insalling gawk in Ubuntu and explicitly calling gawk instead of awk.