Relationship between udev, hal, Dbus and DeviceKit?

DmD Ljungmark spider at gnome.org
Thu Apr 29 01:50:54 PDT 2010

	On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 21:34 -0500, Noe Misael wrote:
> All right,
>

> Thanks a lot, that clarifies everything!!
>

> I read that Ubuntu 10.04 will ship without HAL. I was not completely
> shure why udev+dbus was better. Now I see.

Now, I understand these parts quite well, However what I wonder about
right now is, what will happen to the device information tree (*.fdi)
that were shipping with HAL, and which provided a somewhat common
interface for describing things?

It seems good to have this in a somewhat centralised
repository/format/storage area on a system, and while deprecating the
function of HAL might be justified, removing these as well seem strange.

Will these be read/understood/converted by each subsystem into various
semi-incompatible formats?

Will udev be trained to read xml and comprehend these files?

Will they simply be discarded as a badness of the past, and we don't
need a friggin' way to reconfigure various devices (and inputs)?

//Spider