Howto determine the dbus session address??

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Wed Aug 18 04:22:07 PDT 2010

  On 08/18/2010 12:59 PM, Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:
> 2010/8/18 Stef Bon<stef at bononline.nl>:
>> You'll have to explain why.
>> I'm very curious why. You;ve got a better sollution?
>>
> Look, from my understanding of D-Bus, its creators designed it to work
> the way I explained to you in my first mail. A system service doesn't
> go looking for user's session buses. Applications in user's sessions
> look for the system service in the system bus. Simple, no?
>
> Rui

No, it's not that simple, and you saying that the script I'm using is a
silly sollution is what I think not very friendly. At least you have to
argument that.

The way that kde manages the notifying users via messages (popups),
works via the session bus.
When you're developing a construction to manage local and remote resources,
like I do, and you want to setup communication with the user via the
desktop, you'll have to use
this session bus, and not the system bus.

And there happens to be no construction in KDE to listen for system
already belonging to the session, apart from listing to messages with
wall, which are catched by kwrited (in a seperate session).

You can think of it as a KDE problem, I think it's not good that it's
not possible that an app or script from "outside" is not able to
communicate to the session bus.

Stef