Is it possible to monitor a users session-bus as root...?

Nestler, Roger - IS Roger.Nestler at itt.com
Wed Aug 18 06:19:42 PDT 2010

I am working with C glib bindings on linux...Id prefer not to modify any DBUS core code though...i.e. libdus... Is that what your suggesting?

Somehow changing the euid to the target user then back to root sounds good...
I'v tried that previously though and Dbus did not seem to like that.

For example:

1) Sudo Code

    // set up DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS to match target users

    // set euid to target users

    // connect to bus...

    // add signal

    // connect to signal

    // set euid back to root

    // run main loop

2) Compile and Run the above as root...

3) Error during run at "dbus_g_bus_get" - connecting to the bus:

    "Did not receive a reply.  Possible causes include:  the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus
    security policy blocked the reply..."

Changing the uid instead of the euid is the only thing that allowed the above sudo code to work... then of course I cant change back to the root id once I've given up my root status (operation not permitted error)....the app is running as the target user... and they can kill it...sound correct?

Any other ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks
Roger

PS.. This is my first time using a mailing list... I'm using Outlook "Reply-to-all"...Hope this is routed through the DBUS mailing list some how... I don’t mean to email you directly if that’s what happened... or to start a new thread  with the same topic on the list if that’s what happened (sorry admin).