Cmake update patch for dbus master

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Feb 16 00:08:41 PST 2010

Em Terça-feira 16. Fevereiro 2010, às 08.50.11, Ralf Habacker escreveu:
> Romain Pokrzywka schrieb:
> > On Tuesday 09 February 2010 06:58:53 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >> I'd say the answer should be "Use the same technique as on Unix"
> >>
> >> If you require different busses, you just set a different environment
> >> variable (DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS). It will be inherited by all
> >> processes in that session.
>
> This will not work on windows. Applications are started from the start
> menu - the start menu is managed by the explorer, which is one process.
> Setting an environment variable in the explorer will force any
> applications started from the startmenu to use the same session bus.

That is not a problem.

It's exactly what I said before: It's the same as Unix.

If you start a D-Bus app without the environment set, it will use the
autolaunchable bus, found by whatever means the platform uses. And, yes, it
will be unique and will be the same for all apps.

That means both debug and release apps will talk to the same bus and will talk
to each other.

That's a good thing and that should be the objective.

> > Still, Ralph is talking about another use case, where we don't have a
> > console-provided environment.
>
> yes

See above.

> >> In theory, it would be possible to run two sets of those applications on
> >> the same computer, by the same user, if they were in separate buses. But
> >> at least on Unix, kdeinit4 also creates a socket which is keyed to the
> >> X display, so it wouldn't work -- on Windows, it may.
> >
> > It does. That's why the idea of having multiple dbus-daemons running and
> > apps talking to the right one is tempting. However, I don't think
> > ensuring the apps talk to the right daemon is really the responsibility
> > of dbus, so I think I agree with you below.
>
> dbus lacks some support to be able to handle this on windows.

The right daemon is the one that you configure with the environment variable.

If you don't configure, it's the default, autolaunchable one. Just like on
Unix.

> The default case on windows is that applications are started from the
> start menu.
> If there are separate KDE installations, how should it be able to select
> different dbus session busses ?
> The arguments I heard until now do not apply.

They should NOT select different busses.

Apps should ALL use the same bus.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358