[Patch] Moving FD passing into the header

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Fri Jun 18 12:38:44 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's what I'm saying, I don't know what the problem is with
>> extending the type system if we have feature negotiation.
>
> Consider for example a code generator which operated on introspection
> format data (e.g. the ones stored in /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces).
>
> But...I'm not dead set against the h type, I just think it's not worth the pain.

I don't have a super-strong opinion on the fd passing (I guess my main
feeling would be more "should we have it?" than "where should it go in
the message?" but the should we have it discussion has been had)

However I don't really get the argument about extending the type
system being disruptive, since there are other extensions also in
progress. You may as well dump in another one (in fact getting them
all done at once so bindings would update in one shot, would be an
admirable goal ... the feature negotiation could even be "typesystem
2.0" instead of allowing subsets/combinatorics of the extensions).