[Patch] Moving FD passing into the header

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Tue Jun 22 17:54:43 PDT 2010

On Thu, 17.06.10 16:51, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Marcel Holtmann <marcel at holtmann.org> wrote:
> >
> > I have to agree here. Why are we trying to treat file descriptors
> > differently? I don't see the point in here. I like having them part of
> > the signature and part of the introspection.
>
> Because changing the type system impacts *everything* in a huge way.
> All bindings (and there's a lot of them) would need to be carefully
> updated to ensure that they handle the new type.  And there are a lot
> of tricky cases there, like variants.

Well, so you are calling for freezing the type system as it stands now?
That's very conservative...

> I just don't expect that much code to be using file descriptor passing
> that it's worth the pain that would entail.

Well, I see that differently. Maybe it is not used as often as let's say
the string type, but still I'd say that a type like int16 is way more
useless...

And didn't very recently even random people blog on p.g.o how awesome
dbus' unix fd passing is and how they used it for their project to pass
a pipe around?

I am pretty sure that people will start using this more frequently
as soon as it is available.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net