User bus conclusion

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 9 15:48:40 PST 2010

On Tue, 09.11.10 23:23, Matthew Johnson (dbus at matthew.ath.cx) wrote:

> On Tue Nov 09 17:06, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> > All of this means that there is only one graphical login per user.
> >

> Sorry, I'm I misreading this? Or have you just suggested that we stop
> supporting one user having multiple logins?

Multiple logins will continue to be supported. But only one of them will
be graphical.

Most desktop environments already fail in various ways if you login
twice. Metacity probably still mostly works, but everything beyond that
(gnome-panel!) will fail miserably sooner or later. Firefox actively
blocks you from being started twice by the the user with the same $HOME.

Also note that you can still have as many X screens as you wish,
however, only one of them is actually associated to your session. If you
want more than one X screen attached to your session then consider using
something like Xinerama.

> I think that's a completely untenable position to take.

Well, we disagree. In fact gdm on most distros doesn't allow you to
login graphically more than once already.

With other words: almost nothing really changes. We just make the
current effective status quo official.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.