User bus conclusion

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 16:00:10 PST 2010

Hey,

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Matthew Johnson <dbus at matthew.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Tue Nov 09 17:06, Ryan Lortie wrote:
>> All of this means that there is only one graphical login per user.
>>

> Sorry, I'm I misreading this? Or have you just suggested that we stop
> supporting one user having multiple logins?
>
> I think that's a completely untenable position to take.

For the record, I disagree with you. As does a lot of other
maintainers of current desktop infrastructure, daemons and libraries.
Because we've tried it and it just doesn't work. I guess we're just
being honest about it with this new D-Bus user bus.

Anyway, all that is unimportant. Because, here's the thing: If you
really want to create your own desktop environment supporting multiple
simultaneous graphical logins, then, hey, feel free to do so - no-one
is stopping you or taking anything away from you. But if you expect
GNOME or KDE or whatever [1] to support this, then, hey, talk to those
projects - don't complain on a list for an IPC library and message bus
system.

    David

[1] : the "we" above? Actually, this is not a flame. It's a genuine question...