User bus conclusion

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Tue Nov 9 18:45:01 PST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM, David Zeuthen <zeuthen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Really depends on what you mean by session. FWIW, the OS will still
> need to be able to enumerate all user logins (roughly corresponding to
> the existing session bus type) in addition to groups of logins
> (corresponding to the newly proposed bus type)
>
>  UserOnHost(user=alice)
>   LoginSession1(ssh)
>   LoginSession2(LocalMonitor0, active)

I guess I mean session = graphical session. I don't think anyone is
starting a session bus right now per ssh session.

Something that mostly works right now is to start a new session bus in
your ssh session or session as another user with dbus-launch, and then
display on existing X server:

$ sudo or ssh, forwarding DISPLAY
$ dbus-launch myapp

One hypothetical solution is to support multiple X servers (all or all
but one of them rootless) on the same monitor at the same time. If
Wayland has rootless servers anyway then it might "just work" or
almost just work.

> FWIW, I don't think it's helpful changing the session bus scope -
> especially not as it's already defined in the D-Bus spec (as being
> one-to-one with the (X server instance, uid) pairs).

The spec as I'm reading it seems to be really vague and unclear.... in
any case, I think the main thing apps/services might rely on is that
there's only one X server on the session bus (and that they should
exit along with the session bus). If that's all they depend on you
won't really be breaking anything.