DBUS build: make install does not run strip on the libs

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 02:58:19 PDT 2010

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 at 11:04:48 +0530, Mandeep Sandhu wrote:
> While building DBUS from source, I found that running 'make install'
> does not run strip on dbus libs while putting them in the install
> location.

That's standard for automake. From the GNU Coding Standards:

    Do not strip executables when installing them. Devil-may-care users can
    use the install-strip target to do that.

In Debian/Ubuntu, the normal behaviour is to install without using
install-strip, then either strip the installed binaries separately, or split
off the debug symbols into /usr/lib/debug to go in a -dbg package, or not
strip them at all if the Debian build tools were told not to (which can be used
to make a debug build of most Debian packages, in a consistent way). I believe
Fedora has a similar standard.

> libtool: install: /bin/bash /home/mandeep/work/dbus/install-sh -c -s
> dbus-daemon /tmp/apr-dbus/bin/dbus-daemon
> strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file
> `/tmp/apr-dbus/bin/_inst.18797_'

Your strip(1) binary is unable to recognise the format of the input file?
You might want to start by investigating that :-)

Regards,