performance of gdbus vs. libdbus

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 06:43:50 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 6:07 AM,  <mgorse at novell.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone done any performance comparisons of gdbus vs. libdbus?  I am
> considering refactoring at-spi to write the core in C rather than having a
> python binding that uses dbus-python, so I am trying to decide between gdbus
> and something libdbus-based.

Serialization of data on and from the wire in gdbus has not been
optimized at all - there's a lot of low-hanging fruit (for example
serializing arrays of scalar types is pretty stupid right now). I
haven't (yet) heard any complaints about gdbus being "slow" though -
but then again, there are not that many apps using it yet.

As always, before we do any optimization we need to measure what we
are optimizing though etc. (last time I tried sysprof was broken so I
didn't get very far).

FWIW, there's no reason gdbus can't be as fast as libdbus (or at least
the same order of magnitude) since GVariant (which gdbus is built
upon) allows you to construct "trusted values" so e.g. expensive UTF-8
checks can be avoided.

    David