help understanding dbus re: nonce

Val P injvstice at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 16:50:46 PDT 2010

I am trying to understand dbus and its usage of noncefile.

I have configured my server as such:

<listen>nonce-tcp:host=localhost,port=6767,noncefile=/dbus/var/testfile</listen>

and this works okay, the right port is bound (once I do dbus-daemon
--system). however I do not get the "nonce" file created where I expect it,
it still gets put in the %temp% dir.

This would be okay.. but how does a client "discover" the nonce file? If i
try dbus-monitor, it complains about missing noncefile and bails out:

C:\dbus\bin>dbus-monitor --system
Failed to open connection to system bus: Server address of type nonce-tcp
was missing argument noncefile

 If i specify --address with the information above, then it works. I am
however trying to understand the usage scenario here.

I am using 1.4.1 on Win7 -- compiled under VS2010... hopefully I didn't
screw up the compile options. Since it works if I specify the noncefile, I
must be misunderstanding something about the usage model.

thanks in advance!
Will