Being interested in NameOwnerChanged for a namespace, not one name

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 08:40:34 PDT 2010

On 17/09/10 16:26, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> We should consider the optimizability of whatever we do. I think
> there's already a bug or an issue about O(n) searches through match
> rules on every message.

I'm happy to report that I improved the daemon about a year ago to index
match rules by message type and interface. :)

That said, I don't think that globs are necessary. I really can't think
of any general use-cases for wanting to match anything more than a
prefix of bus names (or potentially interface names, for the first
argument of the new org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.PropertiesChanged
signal). Matching a prefix is just prefix_length <= actual_length &&
memcmp(); glob matching is way more complicated, so without a
justification I'm inclined to pass on that.

Cheers,
--
Will