UnknownMethod vs. UnknownProperty

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed Mar 9 10:15:40 PST 2011

On Wed, 09.03.11 17:47, Simon McVittie (simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk) wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 at 18:27:40 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Wed, 09.03.11 16:25, Lennart Poettering (mzqohf at 0pointer.de) wrote:
> > > So, is introducing UnknownProperty a good idea? I say yes, what says you?
> >
> > Hmm, so, if a user calls Get() and specifies a property that doesn't
> > exist it will return UnknownProperty in future, but what happens if the
> > user calls Set() on a read-only property? None of the current error
> > codes really applies to that.
>
> Perhaps merge the stuff I already reviewed, and add UnknownProperty and/or
> this new error code afterwards?

Well, the patch I posted a few weeks back did introduce the error and
hook it up. After your commits I wanted to split that up. But if I have
to redo the patch anyway, I'd rather do it fully and complete.

> > I am leaning towards "PropertyNotWritable".
>
> Writable is fairly often (mis-?)spelled Writeable, so I'd suggest avoiding
> that word if there's any good alternative.

OK, PropertyReadOnly then? PropertyMayNotBeWritten?

I leaning towards PropertyReadOnly now.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.