dbus-1.4 branch not buildable

Vincent Torri vincent.torri at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 23:24:27 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de>wrote:

> Heya,
>
> The build system in the 1.4 branch is in a really bad state.
>
> 2b5959882a403cddba754b37b58bdc49bff01f90 makes it impossible to build
> anything, and even reverting that doesn't fix the messed up configure.ac
> script, as there's brokeness such as this in the output when running
> configure:
>
> ./configure: line 16950: COMPILER_COVERAGE: command not found
> ./configure: line 16951: COMPILER_OPTIMISATIONS: command not found
>
> And:
>
> ./configure: line 4226: : command not found
>
> Please let's make sure that things stay buildable at all times. If you
> change things in configure.ac you MUST check with "git clean -dxfq &&
> ./autogen.sh && make -j6" whether what you are about to commit still
> builds.
>
> Hmm, now, if I knew autoconf well enough to be able to fix
> 2b5959882a403cddba754b37b58bdc49bff01f90...
>
> Simon?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Lennart

btw, after having a look at configure.ac, the use of  AS_AC_EXPAND is bad.
The $prefix is never known at configure time. The value of $prefix, and of
all the variables that depend on $prefix (you

This stuff is for example used to check if cygwin is used. Better relying on
$host for that.

So, to be short, all the stuff using EXPANDED_* should be done in
Makefile.am  files and not in configure.ac (except cygwin and
redhat/slackware detection, that should be done in another way, maybe uname
-v. Also, ask on autoconf ML for a etter solution for OS detection)

Vincent