How to get the ESSID of the current network

Jonathan Haug jonathanhaug at wolke7.net
Tue Mar 22 23:02:48 PDT 2011

> This is the wrong place to ask questions about specific D-Bus APIs.  For
> NetworkManager, you should be contacting that community (see
> http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager).

Yes, I did understand this now and asked there:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2011-March/msg00196.html

The short answer is:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1
org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get
string:org.freedesktop.NetworkManager string:ActiveAccessPoint

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/7
org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get
string:org.freedesktop.NetworkManager
string:ssid

Thanks for all your help, especially Christian and mandeep!

CU

Jonathan