control groups

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Wed Apr 11 06:49:49 PDT 2012

Hi,

In the performance paper
http://shorestreet.com/sites/shorestreet.com/files/dbus-perf-report-0.9.9.pdf
there's discussion of scheduler issues where the bus only gets the
same CPU slice as each individual dependent app, so in the aggregate
the apps get way too much time and the bus way too little.

I was just reading Lennart's post here
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/cgroups-vs-cgroups.html where he
mentions balancing mysql and httpd even though they are made up of
different numbers of processes.

Some docs here:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Resource_Management_Guide/sec-cpu.html

If you were to split the system into "dbus-daemon" and "everything
else" and say that when both need CPU, the CPU should be divided
equally between those two groups, I wonder if that would solve the
scheduling problem. I don't know if it's possible.