PANotConnected: Connection to PulseAudio daemon not established

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 04:57:54 PST 2012

On 23/02/12 10:21, Fabrice DELENTE wrote:
> When trying to connect to a bluetooth headset, I get errors taht seem
> to be due to D-Bus permission trouble, since these errors don't show
> up when I am connected as root:
[...]
> ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on org.bluez:/: dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 2
matched rules;
> type="method_call", sender=":1.81" (uid=1000 pid=29710
comm="/usr/bin/python)
> interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" error
> name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.bluez" (uid=0 pid=1920
> comm="/usr/sbin/bluetoothd))

Look in /etc/dbus-1/system.conf and /etc/dbus-1/system.d/*.conf to see
what rules are being applied. You'll probably need to either be
logged-in locally (according to ConsoleKit), or add yourself to some group.

On my Debian system, you can talk to bluez if you are root, a member of
the bluetooth group, or logged-in locally. Other OSs are likely to have
similar default policies.

Getting ConsoleKit working is the recommended thing here, to avoid
having to add yourself to 47 assorted groups to get all the desired
privileges for a local user.