D-Bus optimizations

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Mon Feb 27 04:52:53 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 13:33 +0100, rony wrote:
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> On 27.02.2012 13:04, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > Just published a blog entry[1] about some recent work we have been doing
> > at Collabora to optimize D-Bus. So could you please have a look and
> > comment on it?
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > [1] http://blogs.gnome.org/rodrigo/2012/02/27/d-bus-optimizations/
> Hmm, how is a DBus language binding affected by this, what does it have to adapt/change, when using
> the d-bus low level APIs ?

they would just need to change the socket type used (from SOCK_STREAM to
SOCK_SEQPACKET) and set up the filters

> What about the implications to other platforms like Windows or MacOSX?

this is only changed in the UNIX-specific code in D-Bus, so not
affecting other platforms. But I'm sure something similar (multicast)
could be done on those platforms, if they have something that can be
used.

Also, it is an addition to the current code, so the code uses multicast
only if the bus address specifies so (unix:multicast=/tmp/....)

> What would be the time frame to expect such changes to materialize?

in the next few months :-)

> P.S.: Having written a language binding for D-Bus for the ooRexx scripting language for Linux,
> MacOSX and Windows <http://wi.wu.ac.at/rgf/rexx/orx22/201112-DBus4ooRexx-article.pdf>, I have an
> interest in maintaining it appropriately, depending on the changes in D-Bus that effect
> language-bindings.

I didn't know about this binding, so I'll try to keep you posted so that
you can update it. As I said, the bindings shouldn't need much change,
apart from what I mentioned before

cheers