D-Bus optimizations

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Feb 28 02:06:42 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 13:52 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> I didn't know about this binding, so I'll try to keep you posted so that
> you can update it. As I said, the bindings shouldn't need much change,
> apart from what I mentioned before

But the issue is more that if they *aren't* updated, they actually
break, right? We need to at least think about backwards compatibility
here.  How far can we get with a scheme where this appears as a
negotiated feature?  Can it work to e.g. send a signal via multicast
to 3 peers, and also via regular socket sendmsg to another peer
simultaneously?

        Shared memory: this has no proof-of-concept code to look at, but
        was a (maybe) good idea, as it would mean peers in the bus would
        use shared memory segments to send messages to each other. But
        this would mean mostly a rewrite of most of the current D-Bus
        code, so maybe an option for the future, but not for the short
        term."

So now we're saying that there might be ANOTHER transition in the
future?  At the expected timescales here I really think
that if we have at least a potentially much better plan, we should
consider it now.  Consider the cost of refactoring libdbus/gdbus/etc.
once versus doing it in a smaller way twice.

If both optimizations are eventually implemented, and we support
backwards compatibility, we have to consider *all three* schemes
being in use simultaneously.  Could the bus daemon e.g. route
a signal to 2 peers via multicast, once via regular sockets,
and twice via shared memory?

In all of this work it's really *really* crucial
to have some reference benchmark.  What are we trying to optimize?
This blog post by Alban is good:
http://alban-apinc.blogspot.com/2011/12/d-bus-traffic-pattern-with-telepathy.html

But then I don't see any citation later of improved numbers for
Telepathy.  There are synthetic benchmarks like
"10 D-Bus signal delivered to 10 recipients with a high priority
dbus-daemon" but that doesn't give us a good idea how it
affects Telepathy.

It may make sense to investigate different mechanisms for the session
versus the system bus.  The system bus is designed for IPC between
security domains and I think makes roughly the right set of
tradeoffs for that, whereas the session bus could be a lot faster
if we e.g. stopped validating messages at dbus-daemon level and
just allowed invalid UTF-8 generated inside telepathy to crash
empathy.