dbus_message_new_signal parameter description

Mike Gorse mgorse at suse.com
Mon Jan 2 08:15:20 PST 2012

Signals are broadcasts and don't specify a destination--when you send a
signal, you aren't concerned with the foreign objects that are listening
for it. The signal will be routed to all connections that have a match
rule which covers the signal.

So I'd recommend using the interface that you're generally using for the
object emitting the signal, if you think that makes sense, and setting up
a match rule for it on the connection that needs to receive it. Your other
option is to use a method call instead (and it's possible to designate a
method call as not needing a reply).

Hth,
-Mike G-