Netlink-based D-Bus

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Fri Mar 23 05:38:12 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:04 +0400, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> Il 20/03/2012 19:49, Rodrigo Moya ha scritto:
> > after some feedback and investigation, here's a plan for a new transport
> > for D-Bus, based on Netlink:
> >
> > http://blogs.gnome.org/rodrigo/2012/03/20/netlink-based-d-bus/
>
> I hate to be unsupportive, but I fail to see how this would bring a
> significant performance benefit. In the best case it would be as good as
> Alban's kdbus, which IMHO is not worth the trouble.

Alban's kdbus improved the performance by 2 times, IIRC, so why is it
not worth the trouble?

In fact, I think the kdbus thing is probably the best technical
solution, and are in the process of getting some more feedback from
kernel people about it. Initial things against it was the dbus-specific
code in the kernel, but we are trying to convince people about it.

The Netlink solution is a plan B (or C), but it would probably provide
the same performance improvements as kdbus, since the daemon would only
be involved in a few messages (org.freedesktop.DBus, activation and
authentication).