Fwd: Results of the freedesktop summit

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed Apr 17 07:11:22 PDT 2013

On Wed, 17.04.13 09:38, Havoc Pennington (hp at pobox.com) wrote:

> Random tiny thing I noticed in the spec,
>
> > In higher level tools, the user visible representation of a connection is
> > defined by the D-Bus protocol specification as ":1.<id>".
>
> I think just :<id> would be OK. I'm not really sure why the current
> daemon uses :<32bit>.<32bit> instead of :<64bit> even though I
> probably did that.
> My reading of the dbus spec is that the important thing is to start
> with ":" so that unique names are in their own namespace.

My guess is that originaly the unique names were supposed to be valid
service names in the usual domain name syntax too, modulo the prefixing
":". And the spec said that valid domain names have to have two labels
at least.

Of course, since then the rules what a valid well-known name is have
changed, so that each label cannot begin with a number, but may contain
it. Which of course causes makes the two-label syntax for unique names
moot anyway...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.