switch from 1.4.x to 1.6.x

Tim Sander tim at krieglstein.org
Fri Feb 22 03:43:47 PST 2013

Hi Simon

> > I just tried to upgrade dbus from 1.4.x to 1.6 x on my system.
>
> Major-version upgrades for something as central as the system
> dbus-daemon are something that should usually be done at a distribution
> level. If your distribution only has D-Bus 1.4, either keep using that,
> upgrade to a later release of that distribution, or switch to a
> faster-moving distribution.
Well probably i should have told that i am using ptxdist to build. So yes i am
doing a full distribution build.

> If you absolutely *must* use D-Bus 1.6 on an Ubuntu release that
> originally came with 1.4, you could try taking the patched 1.6 versions
> from a later Ubuntu release, but it would be safer to upgrade the whole
> system to that later release.
I just copied the system.conf and upstart files from ubuntu as i am also using
upstart.

The patches i found for 1.6.8  where only three files:
timeout01_no-fatal-warnings.patch  <-increase timeout
20_system_conf_limit.patch <-aptdaemon not needed for me
81-session.conf-timeout.patch <raise timeout>

So nothing conclusive. So if anyone has an idea what might be wrong i am happy
to hear. I have not found any log messages pointing to the problem other that
the dbus connection fails.

Best regards
Tim