What about ability to specify a way of service/application activation by dbus?

Nikita Zlobin nick87720z at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:16:18 PST 2013

> It is possible for a session manager to manipulate the environment
> that the dbus-daemon passes to its children by calling its
> UpdateActivationEnvironment method: for instance, gnome-session does
> that. Perhaps the equivalent "big parent process" of KDE (startkde?
> sorry, it's ages since I used KDE) should do the same?
Good to know, i'm only not sure, how setting it globally will affect
other services, that may start or restart later.

Sadly, on my own installation it appears strange. In d-feet
org.freedesktop.DBus is not listed at all for neither session nor
system busses. In qdbusviewer i can browse its tree, but on attempt
to activate it, unlike other functions of same service it gives error
"Unable to find method", verbose: "Unable to find method
UpdateActivationEnvironment on path / in interface
org.freedesktop.DBus". Hopely, it is bug of my system (i first
installed ubuntustudio, which is xubuntu-based, but then changed to kde
due to some bugs of compiz - i like too much some functions, but e17
loaded hard even with opengl, than kwin, and brought some tricks).