max connections per control group (cgroup)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Aug 6 10:07:20 PDT 2014

On Wednesday 06 August 2014 08:49:28 Jon Watte wrote:
> A limit of connections per process sounds much better than a limit of
> connections per cgroup to me. Some users build or use complex systems with
> many dozens of collaborating programs, or just have a busy desktop. If the
> session or cgroup limit is arbitrarily low, like 16, that will get in the
> way of such uses pretty quickly. However, as each collaborating part is a
> process, a quite low per-process per-bus connection could would be more
> reasonable to this thinking.

We're talking about the system bus here.

Obviously this low limit cannot apply to the session bus since all processes
in the session bus run under the same cgroup.

Also, we should make sure that this does not arbitrarily limit the number of
connections for systems that do not use cgroups. Maybe D-Bus's default config
should not limit the number of cgroups and Linux distributions that make use
of cgroups insert their limit there.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358