Starting the kdbus discussions

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Jan 1 13:24:13 PST 2014

On Monday, 2013-12-30, 21:08:35, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sun, 29.12.13 23:12, Ted Gould (ted at gould.cx) wrote:

> > > Well, it's not that different from today. On Fedora at least we ship a
> > > systemd service file each for all bus-activated system service these
> > > days,
> > > and the dbus activation files are mostly just compatibility. So they
> > > already are systemd unit files, and they just continue to be, its just a
> > > bit more mandatory.
> >
> > I'll take that as: "No, service files will not be supported in any
> > way."
>
> Old dbus1 service files are supported, but only for clients that connect
> indirectly via the bus proxy. There's a systemd "generator" in place
> that simply convers the old dbus1 service files into a pair of systemd
> unit files each.  Modern clients that speak kdbus directly need to
> provide unit files.

Assuming the latter also applies to software using the ported GDBus and
libdbus1 libraries (or wrappers of those), what kind of information measures
are you planning in order to reach them and/or what kind of diagnostic
facilities will be in place that alert them of the changed requirements during
build or runtime?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring