Starting the kdbus discussions

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Jan 2 04:56:23 PST 2014

On Thursday, 2014-01-02, 02:18:49, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 01.01.14 22:38, Kevin Krammer (krammer at kde.org) wrote:

> > When you write "kdbus as system bus" does that imply it is also being used
> > for session busses (since those are usually "easier") or is kdbus only
> > used for system bus and session busses are still backed by dbus-daemon?
>
> Our primary focus for now is the system bus, and dbus-daemon can
> continue to be used for the session bus, even on a system that uses
> kdbus for the system bus.

I see, thanks.
I was primarly asking because there was no explicit reference to the session
bus, so I was wondering whether session bus was an implied usage or still
handled by the traditional daemon.

My understanding is now that the latter is to expected situation short and
medium term.

Please correct me if I am wrong: that implies that client libraries need to
support the traditional marshalling format anyway and can, additionally,
support the new one for use with kdbus backed system bus.
I.e. it is currently not viable to just talk the new format.

> Adopting kdbus for the session is politically more complex. In the
> systemd model there is after all no dbus-daemon anymore, there's just
> the systemd system instance that sets up the system bus, and then the
> systemd user instance that sets up the user bus. Which means that
> desktops which want to take benefit of kdbus would also have to adopt
> systemd as a session manager.

I guess they would mainly need a reliable way to detect such systems, so that
they can launch their usual session manager when not running on a systemd
session manager system.

> > Will this affect users of D-Bus on non-Linux system (BSD, OSX, Windows) in
> > some way?
>
> I don't see how really.

Cool, just checking :)

Also mostly answered already by your reply regarding session bus usage.
I.e. the use case I am most interested in is D-Bus for inter-app communication
on the session bus and since this seems to be done with dbus-daemon even on
Linux for the time being, there will be no difference platform wise.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring