Starting the kdbus discussions

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 2 07:42:03 PST 2014

On Thu, 02.01.14 16:17, Kevin Krammer (krammer at kde.org) wrote:

> > > Sorry, I am confused now.
> >
> > Kay just tried to describe an another facet of the system after a
> > desktop environment adopted systemd as a service manager: we try to
> > shift the focus from a session bus to a user bus. This of course is
> > another politically senstive thing since some people are strongly bound
> > to the idea that multiple local session of the same user should work. We
> > kinda put an end to that.
>
> Right. I wasn't confused by the user bus vs session bus terminology, but by
> the contradiction of what you said "dbus-daemon not going away anytime soon
> for apps" and what Kay said "no dbus-daemon anywhere on systems that use
> kdbus".
>
> So I take it that what Kay was referring to was the distant future outlook
> while you were addressing the short and medium term situation,
> correct?

Well, I whether it is "short", "medium" or "distant" is up to the
beholder... I mean, for now we are only discussing the system bus case,
since it it's the technically most complex case (since it is the first
one, and has policy), and right after that we'll focus on the user bus
(which is primarily politically complex). So, we'll only say something
about the order of things, not the timeframes ;-)

> > The shift is smaller than it might appear I figure, as we simply will
> > redirect all session traffic to the user bus.
>
> Right, something like that.
> Alternatively dbus-daemon could still be allowed to run a session bus. Most
> application developers will switch to user bus because that is what they are
> expecting anyway and the odd apps that are session sensitive would still run
> unchanged.

We should make sure that apps still find each other by default.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat