1.8.0 release?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 7 12:59:50 PST 2014

On segunda-feira, 6 de janeiro de 2014 11:21:22, Simon McVittie wrote:
> My opinion: interposing symbols is not a supported action, and if you do
> it, you get to keep all the pieces. One day I'll work out the right
> runes to make dbus link with -Bsymbolic or something in a semi-portable way.

I wrote a blog about this and got flamed a lot for even suggesting to remove
the option of symbol interposing. But the fact of life remains that only
specially-crafted symbols can be safely interposed in libraries. libdbus-1
definitely does not take care of that and will not accept bug reports if
interposition of one of its symbols does not work.

We currently link Qt 5 with -Bsymbolic-functions by requiring all applications
to be compiled with -fPIE or -fPIC. That's currently the only way to avoid
copy relocations and the executable "stealing" the official entry address for
public functions it uses. That requirement actually enables us to use -
Bsymbolic if we wanted to or even protected visibility (which I use locally).

See the blogs:

http://macieira.org/blog/2012/01/sorry-state-of-dynamic-libraries-on-linux/
http://macieira.org/blog/2012/01/update-and-benchmark-on-the-dynamic-library
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358