Starting the kdbus discussions

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed Jan 8 00:29:19 PST 2014

On Thu, 02.01.14 14:24, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 04:50 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > Well, it's not that different from today. On Fedora at least we ship a
> > systemd service file each for all bus-activated system service these days,
>
> If you're talking about the entire Fedora collection of packages, I
> doubt that's true.   If you're talking about the "default install", I
> hope so.
>
> But regardless I think it's likely that kdbus will need to support bus
> activation via legacy service files.  The thing is that I'm sure there
> exist services that use GDBus, and they'll be transparently ported to
> kdbus.  It would be confusing if all of a sudden they had to also
> install systemd units.

These services would be changed anyway to open the "trusted" system bus
and would thus indicate that they are aware of the new world order where
native unit files have to be supplied and policy has to be enforced by
service code.

> I don't understand why the generator would only be applicable to the
> proxy case?

We embedd the policy of the names in the .busname unit files.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat