Presenting User Session Work (was: Starting the kdbus discussions)

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Jan 8 06:36:05 PST 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-08 at 09:19 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> On Tue, 07.01.14 12:36, Thiago Macieira (thiago at kde.org) wrote:
> > On sábado, 4 de janeiro de 2014 12:39:49, Ted Gould wrote:
> > > But I do feel like we should be talking about our application
> > > confinement story outside of UDS (where it's been for the last couple of
> > > years).  I submitted a talk to LCA, but it got rejected, which I don't
> > > disagree with because it doesn't quite fit.  But where should it fit?
> > > It seems like we don't have a good user space conference today.  I'd
> > > love to see something like +ACI-FD.o Desktop Summit,+ACI but not as a
> > > replacement for GUADEC and aKademy because that didn't work well for
> > > either of those communities.
> >
> > I've been thinking of getting that conference off the ground for two years,
> > ever since it became clear there would never be a Desktop Summit again, but I
> > don't have the time to organise it.
> >
> > Currently, the best alternative is to extend the Plumbers conference to higher
> > levels in the stack. Some of us approached the organisation in 2013 and they
> > said "sure, if you can bring the speakers".
>
> Ryan organized something like a freedesktop summit last year at the suse
> offices in nuremberg. AFAIK you were invited but didn't show. People
> from GNOME, KDE and Razor did show up. This was actually where we hashed
> out many of the details of kdbus with Ryan.

Not sure if you're meaning this for Thiago or me, but I wasn't.  So my
impressions are purely from people's reports of the event.  But it was
my understanding that the meeting was more of a working group around
existing specs, and less about presentations about thing that different
people are working on.  I think that largely seeing the cool ways people
are solving perhaps overlapping problems could lead to new
collaborations, which I'd love to see.

Ted