D-Bus unit tests

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 04:38:39 PST 2014

On 12/11/14 09:32, Thomas Sondergaard wrote:
> My thinking is that I need to do something like this:
> qputenv("DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS", "autolaunch:");
> QDBusConnection::sessionBus(); // Trigger connect
> qputenv("DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS",
> getDBusAddress(QDBusConnection::sessionBus()));

Autolaunching (the autolaunch transport and dbus-launch) is not the
right tool for this, at least on Unix. You should either start a new
dbus-daemon "by hand" and put its address in DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS,
like GTestDBus in recent GLib, or use a script or executable that does that.

The dbus-run-session tool in recent dbus packages launches a new
dbus-daemon for its child process, runs the child process with the right
environment variables, waits for that process to terminate, and kills
the temporary dbus-daemon. with-session-bus.sh in various Telepathy
packages was an older implementation of dbus-run-session, in shell script.

Please look at the implementation of GTestDBus, dbus-run-session or
with-session-bus.sh to see:

* the dbus-daemon command-line options you can use for this
* the environment variables you should set in the child
* the environment variables you should unset in the child

> If another process
> has already been started with autolaunch: I get connected to it's
> dbus-daemon (on RHEL7 linux, haven't tried on Windows).

On Unix systems, if you are in an X11 session, you get one autolaunched
dbus-daemon per uid per X server.

> Btw, this seems
> inconsistent with http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-launch.1.html
> which says "Whenever an autolaunch occurs, the application that had to
> start a new bus will be in its own little world".

Suggestions for better/clearer wording welcome.

> I hope you can help me with this. I'd like a solution that works on both
> Linux and Windows.

Sorry, I think you will probably need slightly different "machinery" on
Windows, because child processes and pipes don't work the same, and
neither does the autolaunch transport.

Some of the dbus regression tests (e.g. test/dbus-daemon.c) start a
dbus-daemon in as close as possible to the same way on Unix and Windows,
but to do that, they have to tell it to output its address on stdout.