DBus on "other" platforms

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon May 16 18:06:50 UTC 2016

On 16/05/16 18:18, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday May 16 2016 12:23:23 Simon McVittie wrote:
>> This is getting more in-depth. Could you open a bug report on
>> <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=dbus&component=core>
>> for this part, please?
>
> OK. Later tonight or else tomorrow.

It would probably be good to take this conversation about EXTERNAL to a
bug, as well, to stop bothering other list members (it can be the same
bug). When you do, please attach your generated config.h, or at least
the lines mentioning DBUS_BUS_ENABLE_KQUEUE, HAVE_ADT, HAVE_CMSGCRED,
HAVE_GETPEEREID, HAVE_GETPEERUCRED, HAVE_UNPCBID and
HAVE_UNIX_FD_PASSING - those are all interesting facts for one of the
issues you've mentioned in this thread.

>> not the one you just compiled; similarly, it'll use your normal
>> (installed) session.conf, not a local one that hopefully only has
>> EXTERNAL enabled. If you are testing a special local compile of dbus you
>
> Yes, I wondered about that!
> So test/data/valid-config-files/session.conf should by definition
> be configured correctly, with EXTERNAL enabled?

It will be if you stop patching dbus to not force EXTERNAL-only. Sorry,
I should have been more specific about testing with upstream D-Bus
(modulo any patches that are strictly necessary for other reasons, like
the one for broken poll()), and not with your vendor patchset.

The hard-coded default, if there are no <auth> directives, is that all
supported authentication mechanisms are attempted; that's currently
EXTERNAL, DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 and ANONYMOUS, except that ANONYMOUS fails by
default and must be enabled separately (for obvious reasons). If there
are <auth> directives, only those authentication mechanisms will be tried.

> # UnixUserID of this process is 505

*Something* is demonstrating to the dbus-daemon's satisfaction that your
uid is 505, but I can't tell yet whether it's EXTERNAL (prove your uid
by AF_UNIX credentials-passing) or DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 (prove your uid by
creating files in ~/.dbus-keyrings with specified contents).

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>