dbus-run-session output.

Simon Lees sflees at suse.de
Fri Apr 7 11:49:37 UTC 2017

On 04/07/2017 08:35 PM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 at 10:17:09 +0930, Simon Lees wrote:
>> In openSUSE we have users launching dbus-run-session and emacs (x11
>> version) at the same time complaining about the following lines being
>> outputted to std::err
>>
>>   Activating service name='org.gnome.GConf'
>>   Successfully activated service 'org.gnome.GConf'
>
> This is logging from dbus-daemon, not dbus-run-session (when
> dbus-run-session starts a dbus-daemon, it inherits dbus-run-session's
> stderr). In the master branch, syslog support was refactored, and I think
> these lines would now get "dbus-daemon[12345]: " (or similar) prepended.
>
> I'm curious why your users don't already have a D-Bus session bus?
> In other distributions such as Debian and Fedora, the session bus is
> automatically started by general OS integration infrastructure:

I am equally curious, I think in this case the user is doing something
like using i3m and I have no idea how its been launched, gnome, kde and
enlightenment all launch with a systemd user session and seem to be fine.

> This seems like something that OS integrators should be providing, rather
> than something individual users should be wrapping around their emacs
> processes?

Yeah I agree, atleast in this case its a emacs launch script shipped by
the distro doing the wrapping so the users aren't seeing it on there own.

>> To me this seems intentional so that we know something has happened and
>> it gets logged, if this is the rational would a patch adding something
>> like a --quiet or --silent flag that suppresses this output be welcome.
>
> In the current (1.11.x) development branch, dbus-daemon already has an option
> to send this logging to the system log (syslog or systemd Journal) instead
> or in addition. I'm not going to backport that to 1.10.x, but if your
> distribution feels that it's important, you could.

I'll have a look at how complex it is and decide based off that, i'm not
in that much of a hurry if there will be a proper fix next release.

> Given the amount of criticism D-Bus gets (usually from people who didn't
> really want to use it but do want to use software that relies on it)
> for being perceived to be opaque, I'd be somewhat reluctant to turn
> off the dbus-daemon's logging altogether, but perhaps dbus-run-session
> should grow a --syslog-only option that passes the same thing through
> to dbus-daemon? Or maybe that should even be the default?

I think adding the option and passing it through is probably the best
approach, I also think leaving it there by default is the best approach,
most of the time it will simply be not seen or just go to a log file
anyway and on the rare occasion someone gets annoyed by it they can
disable it via a command line option anyway.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30