D-Bus service activation and access control

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Jul 29 03:40:44 UTC 2017

On Friday, 28 July 2017 15:51:01 PDT you wrote:
> Ah, right.  But what if the session manager (which is responsible for
> starting new VPN client processes) is asked to start 2 tunnels in
> parallel by two independent users?  What happens?  I've read some places
> that D-Bus serializes these calls.  But will two client processes be
> started?  If I've understood the activation concept correctly, only the
> first call will result in a process being started.

Yes, the calls are serialised. One process is started and both calls will be
delivered to it.

I didn't completely understand what those processes are. Assuming that one of
them is the actual openvpn process that does the connection, I wouldn't use D-
Bus to launch it. I'd launch it directly from the manager process (probably
via pkexec to get the tunnel and routes, then drop privileges) and have it
connect to the system bus for communication.

Out of curiosity: is any of this needed considering NetworkManger already does
all of it?