SMACK / Mandatory Access Control in D-Bus Daemon

Christopher-A. Kopel kopel at student.tugraz.at
Tue Apr 24 06:38:44 UTC 2018

Hi all!

I'm student of computer science at Graz University of Technology
(Austria). We're working on a project for a company constructing
hydroelectric power stations using the D-Bus daemon for their
communication CPU. Our task is to apply some mandatory access control
forr sandboxing purposes on their system (running on IACTU Linux). At
first glance we decided on using SMACK due to its good tradeoff between
security and simplicity and because there was said to be some SMACK
support for D-Bus. Now, however, the latter doesn't seem to be that
clear: I read that there have been some attempts to merge SMACK support
into the mainline D-Bus daemon but it's not really clear if by the
current version anything of this is available. Could you tell us about
the current state of that, please?

Is there any kind of built-in functionality in the D-Bus daemon to
determine which connection may talk to which one? I know you can apply
different policies on connections depending on the user the clients are
running as but this doesn't seem to me to be the optimal way in order to
apply individual access rules for each connection. (I know there is
support for SELinux and AppArmor but if possible we'd prefer not to
change to a completely different LSM).

By the way: Studying the doc of the daemon config files I found no
explanation for the 4 different possible attributes of the <policy> tag;
what can you achieve by using the context="mandatory" and the
at_console="..." attributes?

Cheers,

    Chris