Migrating D-Bus to GitLab

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Aug 23 14:12:26 UTC 2018

Am 23.08.2018 um 15:11 schrieb Simon McVittie:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 at 08:19:09 +0200, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>> For dbus-python I already have a patch
>> (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/rhabacker/dbus-python/commit/6a3e7098dd470d4bcb16c4947aa0918609e00cc2)
>> which could be used to check/specify the wanted review workflow either
>> by using merge requests or by directly pushing in the related repo.
>>
>> I tried to create a new merge request with this commit, but was not able
>> to select dbus/dbus-python as target branch.

The term "target branch" is displayed on the new merge request page.
> dbus/dbus-python isn't a branch, it's a repository. The target branch
> for updates to dbus-python should be master, which is a branch in the
> dbus/dbus-python git repository (the web UI might call it "dbus/master"
> or "origin/master" or something).
>
> If you forked rhabacker/dbus-python from dbus/dbus-python on Gitlab,
> then the default target for your merge requests should already be
> the master branch in dbus/dbus-python?

below the mentioned "target branch" title there a select box "Select
target project", where dbus/dbus-python it not listed.

> It's just like other Gitlab installations, and a lot like Github.

This is what I expected to see knowing from github, where I fork a git
repo from a project, pushes any changes into and create a so called
"pull request" for merging the mentioned branch from the forked project
into the target project.

On freedesktop gitlab this seems either not to be configured (access
rights ?) or not possible.

Looking at the help page at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/help/user/project/merge_requests/index.md
there is stated

"Merge requests allow you to exchange changes you made to source code
and collaborate with other people on the same project."

On the other side
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/gitlab-basics/add-merge-request.html
mentiones "The default target project is the upstream repository, but
you can choose to compare across any of its forks."

freedesktop gitlab version is "GitLab Community Edition 11.2.0 6a123f6"
(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/help)

where

gitlab.com shows "GitLab Enterprise Edition 11.2.0-rc10-ee 51a6637"
(https://gitlab.com/help)

Maybe the issue depends on the edition or a missing configuration in the
upstream project.

Ralf