libdbus or gio dbus for multi-threaded service ?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Tue Mar 13 23:57:03 UTC 2018

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 12:40:10 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:

> ... and in particular [libdbus] does not have any way to
> schedule callbacks to be called in the context (thread) where the
> user that set up that callback might expect it to be called.

Is that all it is? I remember a little while back when I mentioned that
I was introducing limited multithreading into DBussy, my Python wrapper
for libdbus <https://github.com/ldo/dbussy> to give the effect of
nonblocking calls, and received some rather scary comments in reponse.
But when I asked for clarification, none was forthcoming.

For what it’s worth, DBussy handles all libdbus callbacks on the same
thread ... so long as the caller doesn’t invoke it on additional
threads.