Should GetManagedObjects include the current path?

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Mon Oct 21 13:15:45 UTC 2019

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 at 11:04:16 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In DBussy, my GetManagedObjects handler currently ignores the object
> path and always returns info for “all objects in the tree”, since that
> is the phrase used in the spec.

Do you mean that if /com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager is an
object manager for address-book objects, and
/com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager/SomeAddressBook is one of the
address books that it manages, then calling
o.fd.DBus.ObjectManager.GetManagedObjects() on
/com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager/SomeAddressBook will return
["/com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager/SomeAddressBook",
 "/com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager/OtherAddressBook"]?

If so, then I don't think that's as-designed, because it would interfere
with the ability to use an object manager that manages object managers,
for example something like this:

* /com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager is an object manager for
  address books, with managed objects
  ["/com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager/SomeAddressBook",
   "/com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager/OtherAddressBook"]

* Each address book is an object manager for contacts: for example
  /com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager/SomeAddressBook might
  have managed objects
  ["/com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager/SomeAddressBook/Simon_McVittie",
   "/com/example/MyService1/AddressBookManager/SomeAddressBook/Lawrence_D_Oliveiro"]
  each of which implements com.example.MyService1.Contact

    smcv