Could not get password database information for UID of current process

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Oct 6 04:50:19 UTC 2020

On Monday, 5 October 2020 05:24:56 PDT Ilyas AMZIL wrote:
> I have dbus cross compiled for arm but it gives the following error
> when I run it.
> I am logged in as root and my binaries and libs are in /usr/local/bin,
> /usr/local/lib.

Why are you compiling yourself? I highly advise you use Yocto Project to get
the sysroot for your device, which should include D-Bus already. If the pre-
made sysroot from your vendor does not, you can modify the recipe to add it.

> 1. cdma-linux # ./dbus-daemon
> --config-file=/usr/local/etc/dbus-1/session.conf
>
> Could not get password database information for UID of current
> process: User "???" unknown or no memory to allocate password entry
>
> Failed to start message bus: Memory allocation failure in message bus

Please confirm the password database works on your device. Write a simple C
program that uses getpwuid_r with a uid of your user (you said it's root) and
confirm it does find the user's information.

> 2.  cdma-linux # ./dbus-daemon
> --config-file=/usr/local/etc/dbus-1/system.conf Failed to start message
> bus: Error loading config file: 'internal error'

This message hasn't existed in the D-Bus sources since 2013. It was removed
before D-Bus 1.8.

Please confirm you're using a release from the past 2 years. If you're not,
then upgrade and try again before you reply.

> 3 . Is the messagebus and messagebus.pid created automatically or do I
> need to have it present.

"The messagebus' what? The "messagebus" user? No, you have to create it
yourself. The .pid file is created by the daemon when it starts.

> 4. I have tried changing user in system.conf to root but its the same
> result.

The user should not be root.

> 5. /etc/passwd file looks like this
> root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh