dbus-update-activation-environment, x2go and gnome-terminal

Wadih wadih at systemesmw.com
Tue Mar 8 18:47:03 UTC 2022

Hi,

I currently have a workaround to make x2go work smoothly which consists
in running this command on an x2go prompt:

	dbus-update-activation-environment --systemd --all

When I run this command, x2go becomes very quick, and it fixes gnome-
terminal launching otherwise will not launch at all.

I have to do this workaround after each reboot. I've tried it so far on
more than 3 freshly installed Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian 11 machines, it
has the same behavior.

I'm not sure where to start my analysis on why this workaround works,
what components are at play behind, and why I need to run this
command.

Would anybody be able to give me some guidance on things to read and
learn to understand what's happening, as I try to get to the bottom of
the reasoning behind.

My utlimate goal is to understand to understand how to fix it at the
source to avoid that workaround after each reboot.

Thank you so much,

Wadih Maalouf