Using D-Bus for private IPC

Link Dupont link at sub-pop.net
Mon Sep 26 15:39:12 UTC 2022

Hello,

I'm designing a service that exists as multiple separate processes.
These processes communicate over IPC. I'm considering using D-Bus as
that IPC, but I have a couple questions. I would like to isolate the
processes onto a private bus. Is that a good idea, or does that go
against the design principles of using a message bus for IPC? Is there
some other recommended way of isolating services so that they are not
easily interacted with except by authorized processes? Is there a
better way to create a private bus session from within a systemd unit,
or is 'ExecStart=dbus-run-session /usr/bin/myprog' the recommended way
to start up a private bus?

Thanks in advance!

~link