kdbus, bus1 and systemd/non-linux hosts

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 10:09:11 UTC 2023

Hi,

Here is maybe not the best place to ask, but I've come across the apparently dfunct kdbus project and its supposed successor, bus1. The idea of using a kernel interface instead of a handling everything in userspace makes a lot of sense if you consider the demonstrated performance gains. They are all the more interesting to me as I'm a KMail user, where potentially lots of data gets transported over the d-bus.

I've avoided kdbus for now but its successor (bus1-broker) turns out to depend on systemd which makes it a no-go for me. Are there any similar alternatives that don't have this dependency?
Also, are you aware of comparable implementations for Mac or MS Win, using the kernel mechanisms that exist there? (A quick glance suggests Apple's XPC architecture might even be rich enough to act as a conduit, possibly combined with GCD?)

Mostly just curious as I have almost no programming experience with either of these technologies.

R.