OpenTelemetry tracing of Dbus calls

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Tue Feb 7 19:41:06 UTC 2023

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 08:53:02 +0100, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog wrote:
> We are looking into a standardized way of distributed tracing and OpenTelemetry
> standard has been a winner so far. To be able to do a distributed tracing a
> context needs to be passed from node to node, application to application,
> process to process. This is called “Context Propagation” in their terms. There
> are standard & built-in ways of propagating calls in HTTP, grpc etc without
> changing the APIs.

Please could you open an issue and describe what your high-level goal is?

I want to avoid "the X/Y problem" where someone wants to achieve goal X,
then thinks "I'll do that using method Y", then asks for help with method Y,
without revealing that their goal is actually X.

Otherwise, I think there's a danger of having well-intentioned merge
requests adding features that have a cost (in terms of time taken to
develop, time taken to maintain, performance, security or whatever) but
do not actually benefit you.

    smcv