OpenTelemetry tracing of Dbus calls

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Mon Jan 9 10:28:02 UTC 2023

Hi, it would be very nice to hear what you think. If tracing dbus with
OpenTelemetry is something valuable, we could do the implementation in the
spring and contribute back. We just have to agree on the details.

In a nutshell we need to find a way of sending tracing (or even context)
data from the client to a dbus server. As an example, one way of sending
tracing data in http world is through W3C trace HTTP headers that client
appends and the server extracts.

Ex:
traceparent: 00-0af7651916cd43dd8448eb211c80319c-b7ad6b7169203331-01
tracestate: congo=t61rcWkgMzE

Can the tracing/context data be sent over the dbus message header, granted
this needs to be supported by the dbus client libraries?

Umut