OpenTelemetry tracing of Dbus calls

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Wed Jan 11 10:09:31 UTC 2023

Thanks for your email Thomas.

We have around 40-50 dbus services which are the backends to http APIs. A
backend might talk to other backends. We can easily trace the HTTP APIs but
it would also be nice to add the dbus layer tracing to the overall picture.

I think it is important to understand the dbus community's interest in
OpenTelemetry. If the community is not interested then we can think about a
downstream solution. But ideally we like to contribute.

One other way that I can think of is a dedicated FD which carries the
context data. This, of course, also needs changes in the client libraries.

Umut