Fatal warnings in client code

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Mon Mar 6 22:33:15 UTC 2023

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023, at 19:41, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Surviving the disconnect requires careful coding so that the state that was
> shared with the bus peers is discarded and the application no longer tries to
> send on D-Bus.

I think this really depends what the application is doing with D-Bus. If it's using D-Bus solely to send a desktop notification, it probably doesn't require all that much care to cope with disconnection, and users would probably rather just the notification was lacking, instead of the entire application dying (especially if they had some unsaved work in that application). I appreciate that a hard crash is easier to debug, though.

Best wishes,
Thomas