Any benchmark for dbus data transmission rate

Zeeshan Ali Khan zeeshanak at gnome.org
Mon May 29 12:15:18 UTC 2023

Hello Deepak,

On Mon, 29 May 2023 at 07:08, deepak jewargi <djewargi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I have the following questions to adopt dbus communiton  on Linux based applications.
>
> 1. Do we have any standard speed limit or benchmark  for Dbus communication between Processes

There is no "standard" speed as it all depends on many factors,
especially the system load and load on the bus itself. You can always
use peer-to-peer connections if you need lowest latency but then
you'll giving up on the security policy implemented by the
broker/daemon, easy discoverability etc.

> 2. Can we used dbus for data streaming between the two process (application ) on same Linux machine

Depends on what you mean by "data streaming" exactly. If you mean
pub/sub model where you subscribe to some events and then get notified
for them, then yes.

OTOH if you mean multimedia content (e.g audio and video), you **can**
(as long as all of your messages are less than 128MiB) but it's not a
good idea, especially if you're communicating through the broker (the
usual/default scenario). Typically, D-Bus is used for control and
metadata while streaming happens out-of-band. You'd use D-Bus to
communicate the metadata about the stream channel between the
processes involved (e.g the UDP port used).

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali Khan